About Me

My photo
2010: After my cancer diagnosis, my sister Cory suggested I start a blog to keep family and friends up-to-date on my treatment. What a great idea! Check back as often as you like. I'll try to post as much as I can, at the least after major doctor's appointments. 2014: On to more exciting topics! First up, Helsinki 2014.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

In the words of Louis Armstrong...

It's been a few weeks since I've posted, and there is a lot to talk about.

Let me start off with the amazing, humbling and awesome night of December 12.

My cousin John, his wife Laura, several of their friends, family and their staff at Mor Mor Bistro and Bar in Poulsbo, put together a charity wine auction. Every year they give so much to very deserving organizations through their auctions, this year I was fortunate to be the beneficiary of their generosity to help offset my medical bills.

I can't express just how awe inspiring the evening was. I was a bit nervous at first...it's still hard for me to accept help and I thought I'd be uncomfortable being the center of attention, the last thing I wanted was to be known or seen as poor cancer girl. But it wasn't like that. It was a really fun evening, and I met a lot of wonderful people, several of whom are cancer survivors themselves. And no one looked at me as if I were to be pitied. Of course, Dad was there too...so some of that attention could be diverted toward him :)

The best part was that I was able to split the proceeds with the Washington State Council of Firefighters Burn Foundation. As most of you know, the burn foundation is one of my freelance clients. Rod Heivilin, executive director, has worked so very hard to raise money for burn research and to help children with burn injuries.

I'll never be able to thank everyone involved enough—from those who donated rare and expensive wines, gift baskets and other auction items, to those who came and opened their hearts and wallets, to my family and friends who braved the monsoon. I'd love to name everyone individually but there are too many. Just know that if you were there, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Most of all John, Laura, and their staff.

At the end of the evening, $12,000 was raised.

It's a wonderful world.

(and do me a favor, if you're near Poulsbo, grab a bite to eat at Mor Mor. They're at the east end of Front Street downtown :)

No comments:

Post a Comment