About Me

My photo
2010: After my cancer diagnosis, my sister Cory suggested I start a blog to keep family and friends up-to-date on my treatment. What a great idea! Check back as often as you like. I'll try to post as much as I can, at the least after major doctor's appointments. 2014: On to more exciting topics! First up, Helsinki 2014.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

One week after chemo

Yes, last Friday I finished up the first step of treatment. My last day of chemo was pretty uneventful. The tingling in my toes hadn't gotten any worse, and even though I developed a bit of tingling in the tip of my right index finger, Dr. Kovach saw no reason to extend things.

I will say that it was an odd feeling leaving the transfusion room for the last time. I'm not sad about it, but it's been such a constant part of my life for the past several months. I was told early on by doctors and other cancer patients that depression is a common occurrence after treatment concludes. Patients become so accustom to having all eyes on them, that once they're "back to normal" and no one is paying attention to them any longer, that it's hard for some to take. At the time I thought that was the most ridiculous thing I've heard. But now I can see how that may happen. Like I've said all along...I'm looking forward to talking about the weather at some point!

I have to thank Kevin, Mariah and Erika for ending chemo with me...and it's fitting...they're the one's who started it with me! We came full circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment