About Me

My photo
2010: After my cancer diagnosis, my sister Cory suggested I start a blog to keep family and friends up-to-date on my treatment. What a great idea! Check back as often as you like. I'll try to post as much as I can, at the least after major doctor's appointments. 2014: On to more exciting topics! First up, Helsinki 2014.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

1 down, 7 to go

Hey Everybody! This is Cory, Amber's guest blogger for the day. Amber had a successful chemotherapy treatment yesterday. Kevin took her there and brought her back, then Erika was waiting for them at Amber's house when they got back around 1:30. She was doing pretty good, but felt like fresh air helped her feel better. Amber and Erika took a walk with Peko and it ended up being a long walk. By the time they were done Amber was not feeling very well. That is when I showed up, around 5:40. She just kept getting worse and worse. Finally around 8:30 we decided she had had enough and so we gave her the anti-nausea meds plus a sleeping pill. The sleeping pill made her feel super terrible but within minutes she was asleep. The doctor said to let her sleep and not wake her up to give her medication but people I talked to who have been through this before said to wake her up. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well, not knowing to wake or no wake but what ended up happening was that she woke up on her own exactly at the right time to take her medication. She went right back to sleep and woke up in the morning exactly at the right time again. That was easy! Today has been great. Amber is super tired and has been taking it easy. She is a great patient and is now, as she says, "toxic"! This definitely is a team effort and I'm so grateful for everybody who have been helping out.

3 comments:

  1. I love you, Erika & Kevin so much for being there with her for her first go-round. Thanks for being such terrific nurses! Auntie Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are doing better today. Thinking of you. Love Kirstin

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good thing is that they get 'easier' from here on out. Once you learn the routine of how your body handles the doses, you will find a way to make it work for you. Its a great sign that you woke up on your own to get the meds!

    You are on my mind. Hang in there lady!

    ReplyDelete