About Me

My photo
2010: After my cancer diagnosis, my sister Cory suggested I start a blog to keep family and friends up-to-date on my treatment. What a great idea! Check back as often as you like. I'll try to post as much as I can, at the least after major doctor's appointments. 2014: On to more exciting topics! First up, Helsinki 2014.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Now I remember why I grew my hair long...


The final product, with wig...errr, I mean, full cranial prosthesis.





Mid way as Jamie cut off the bob created from the removal of the ponytail



No turning back now! Think I'll donate it to Locks of Love.



Before. In hindsight, I should have styled it, or my version of, for the last time.

Okay, so it's done! I now have short hair...at least for another week. I had my friend and hair stylist, Jamie, do what ever it is she's always wanted to do to my hair...because up til now I wouldn't let her do more than trim it and color. By the evening I was "back to normal" with long hair. The wig looks awesome and is exactly as my hair looks after a trim and color. So excited about it and it's definitely worth the cost.

I am a little nervous about it staying put on my head especially at work. I noticed I have a tendency to keep, pulling it down like I do with hats. Need to be careful of that :)

I have to thank my niece Linnaea. This morning she told me I looked cool with my short hair, earrings and the outfit I wore to the pumpkin farm. Even if Cory paid her to say that, it was cute none-the-less, and I appreciate her saying it. It's strange how attached one can be to hair. I knew it was one of the things that made me "me" but the extent of which is surprising...I still don't feel like myself and looking in the mirror is a weird experience. I'm sure I'll get used to it. And I'm certain that when this is all said and done I'll be growing it long again.

Next step, bald. EECK.

5 comments:

  1. I'm with Linnaea! Cute and SEXY! It's awesome that you donated your hair to Locks of Love. It's something that I've always wanted to do, but they don't take hair that's been bleached.

    I am so proud of you! Your no-nonsense, kick-ass attitude about this is amazing. I would have expected nothing less - I think a great part of it is SISU!

    You're a gem & I love you tons!

    Hugs & Smooches,
    Auntie Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The short looks cool. I also think the wig looks beautiful too. Now you can have both for a little while. You may find you like short. Who knows. Hope to see you soon. Take care. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. you should take some more pics of the short style. In this salon shot it looks adorable. You have a good head and neck for short hair. That said, the new long hair looks exactly like you so that's lovely too. And gotta say, to get up and never have bed head is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the short hair too!!! And the fact that your new long hair looks exactly like your before pics. You are so dang beautiful girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, locks of love never gives anything away, and even a heavily discounted wig is 300 and up. also, much of the hair is outright sold, their excuse is that it pays for the discounted wigs, which are not very discounted. That being said EVERY year at least 5 million dollars or more of donated hair is "misplaced". You don't donated food thinking some will be sold to pay to get the rest of it to some starving family where they can eat if they can pay half the store price. It's a racket.

    ReplyDelete