About Me

My photo
2010: After my cancer diagnosis, my sister Cory suggested I start a blog to keep family and friends up-to-date on my treatment. What a great idea! Check back as often as you like. I'll try to post as much as I can, at the least after major doctor's appointments. 2014: On to more exciting topics! First up, Helsinki 2014.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

So far so good

This past week was a good one, I felt completely myself, which was a huge relief. Originally I anticipated that I'd be feeling less than normal for the entire duration of treatment. Now I know that I'll only have one bad week and then one good week before it starts again.

Friday, my oncologist was surprised and a bit dismayed at how sick I got and how quickly it happened after my first treatment, but I learned a lot, in how I think it best to manage the nausea. It seems to have worked, this time was much easier...the nausea, while always on the verge of being present, hasn't gotten a foothold. The fatigue however, is still an issue. Tomorrow I have acupuncture and that has helped considerably.

Even though he was not happy about the nausea, Dr. Kovach mentioned that my blood work looked good this week which indicates that my body is handling the chemo quite well. So I guess that's good. It still sucks though :)

This past week brought a tiny triumph for me. No...not my 40th birthday...It was my first week wearing the wig to work. It completely fooled all who don't know I have cancer! In fact, on Monday I was at Seattle Cancer Care for an appointment with a nutritionist, while in the elevator a woman complimented me on my hair. My first response was "too bad it's not mine." I don't think she understood what I meant and made a couple additional comments to which I replied "today is the first day I'm sporting it". She took that to mean I had just gotten my hair cut and colored. "Nope" I told her, "I'm a patient here...this is a wig". The look on her face was priceless. I think she was about to hit the floor...her jaw certainly did! I finally had to tell her how much I appreciated her comments. It was pretty nervous wearing it in on Monday.

I still need to condition myself to not play with it (feels like I'm wearing a hat). I think once all my hair is gone and the wig gets taped to my head will help with comfort. Right now it's held in with clips that kind of pull at my hair and doesn't allow it to fit quite properly.

So that's were I am to date. Two down. Six to go. Man I can't wait for January 14th to get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment