About Me

My photo
2010: After my cancer diagnosis, my sister Cory suggested I start a blog to keep family and friends up-to-date on my treatment. What a great idea! Check back as often as you like. I'll try to post as much as I can, at the least after major doctor's appointments. 2014: On to more exciting topics! First up, Helsinki 2014.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

The story thus far...

As most of you know, I was diagnosed with breast cancer almost two weeks ago.

After seeing two surgeons and an oncologist this is what I know: I have an invasive form of ductal carcinoma. It is HER2/Neu negative, which is great and estrogen receptor positive. Based on the size and number of tumors (there are 3 all within a few millimeters of one another) I am a clinical Stage 2. Tomorrow afternoon I am having a CAT scan to determine once and for all what Stage the cancer is at. So far my MRI, ultrasound and biopsy show my lymph nodes to be clear and that it hasn't spread beyond my right breast. Fingers crossed that it the CAT verifies that.

The oncologist I met with last week (recommended to me by a friend) is suggesting sixteen weeks of chemo. That's eight doses every other week, in addition to surgery and hormone therapy for five years following treatment. Right now I'm leaning toward starting chemo first then deal with surgery. Both doctors agree that it doesn't matter what order I start my treatment, and that there is no hurry...according to the second surgeon I've probably had this eight to ten years...can you believe that!?

This Tuesday I have an appointment with Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. It'll be interesting to see what they recommend for treatment.




No comments:

Post a Comment